CSIR Runner FAQ
Yes, search for CSIR Running Club on Facebook or go to www.facebook.com/groups/9331868497.
At the CSIR Sports & Recreation site – from Meiring Naudé Road, turn into the CSIR South Entrance road (at the NRF building) and drive past the CSIR International Convention Centre to the lapa next to the Sports Bar. This is where club members get together for time trials and other events.
Time trials are held on Tuesdays. In the summer months (September to April) they start at 17:30, and in the winter months (May to August) at 17:15. Time trial routes are available on our website.
A fully licensed pub and braai area are available, as well as other facilities on request (e.g. soccer pitch, pool, lapa and hall).
The CSIR Running Club is an open club and anyone can join the club. In other words, it is not restricted to staff of the CSIR.
- Log into the ASA website asa.saclubs.co.za If you not a registered ASA athlete yet, please register. Otherwise, please check that CSIR is specified as your club and that your email address is correct.
- E-mail your proof of payment to email@example.com
- Once we have received the above, we will accept your entry on the ASA website and allocate your licence number to you.
- Please collect your AGN licence at the Time Trials from our club Secretary, Elsa Moller (Elsamo@telkomsa.net).
Membership of the CSIR Running Club includes:
- ASA (AGN) licence: This saves you the temporary licence fee payable at every ASA sanctioned road-running event.
- Club membership card: This gives you unhindered access to the CSIR Sports & Recreation Grounds, not only for time-trials, but any time in the week.
- Social events: The club organises a number of parties during the course of the year, including a New Members Welcome, Comrades Pasta Party, Comrades Aches-and-Pains Party, and the End-of-Year function. The food provided at these parties is free to members.
- League race refreshments: After every league race, eats and drinks are provided free of charge to all members who take part in the race.
- Time trial statistics: Our club statistician keeps record of the running times of all members. These are made available, with statistical analysis, from time-to-time.
- CSIR race help: Our club hosts a 10 and 21km race in October which provides all members an opportunity to help organising and presenting the race. A helper's race and post-race party (with free food and drinks) are held some days afterwards to say thank you.
- Trophies: At the End-of-Year function (i.e. the club AGM), prizes are awarded for numerous achievements of runners in the club.
The CSIR Sports & Recreation Club keep stock of our club vests. Their offices are at the entrance to the Sports & Recreation Grounds, near the CSIR South Entrance. They are open during office hours, but it is best to give them a call on 012 841 4094 before going there.
Committee members take turns to cater at league races, but other members of the club also help out.
Yes, most definitely! Please contact the club secretary (Kagiso Keatimilwe firstname.lastname@example.org) to volunteer.
The gazebo is always available for willing volunteers who want to put it up at non-league races. Catering availability depends on budget availability – please enquire from the club secretary or treasurer.
Results for most races are listed at www.raceresults.co.za